Saturday 30 June 2012

Review: Midnight in Paris

After watching this I feel like I should be reading some great American literature


In a way, Midnight in Paris is very similar to The Purple Rose of Cairo from a while back. Both feature protagonists that want to lose themselves in another world, provided by books and film effectively and both end with the lesson that you can never simply wish your life to be better because fantasy can never sustain you. However overall Midnight in Paris is far more gentle in delivering its message. Visually, the film is a sumptuous love letter to Paris in the 1920s which brings me on to the greatest strength of the movie. Everyone and their cat is in this film and most of them only appear for short bursts. Two of the best have to be Alison Pill as Zelda Fitzgerald and Adrien Brody as Salvador Dali but all the performances are lovely and the numerous references to the people of the era are wonderful to take it. Though I enjoyed the film, I think it might benefit from repeat viewing, just to catch any of those sweet little details I may have missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment